- One Place After Another: Site-Specific Art and Locational Identity Miwon Kwon
This is a book that I am in the process of reading it helps me to think about the history and process of creating art that is exhibited out side of institutions.
- The Interventionists Users’ Manual for the Creative Disruption of Everyday Life Mass MoCA
This exhibition catalog is a great inspiration for what art can do, while still maintaining a material existence.
- Outside Lies Magic: Regaining History and Awareness in Everyday Places John R. Stilgoe
This book is a introduction to exploring your everyday environment. It gets you to notice your everyday man-made environment in new and interesting ways.
- Massive Change Bruce Mau
This book represents a larger interest in the approach that Bruce Mau takes towards design. I find his focus on developing a sustainable future with out expecting people to give up modern conveniences an effective approach to the problems our society faces in this modern world.
- The Language of New Media Lev Manovich
This is a book I am currently in the middle of reading. It addresses the history and conventions of new media as a possible
- Cute, Quaint, Hungry and Romantic Daniel Harris
This is a general overview of the main concepts propagated by advertisers. I find it useful in that is gets me to think about the implicit and explicit messages of visual items that I see, all objects and images not just advertisements.
- Celebrating Aberrations: A Conversation with Edgar Arceneaux by Lara Taubman
I am interested starting an experimental community center someday. These web resources are examples of what that can look like.
- Edgar Arceneaux’s Watts House Project
- Experimental Station
- Mess Hall
- Dave Egger’s TED talk about 826 Valencia
Other web resources that relate to social practice. This is an art movement I resonate with because at its best it does more than call attention to something it takes action.